Wednesday 2 February 2011

Kicking the doors of the Hong Kong metro does not open them.

View from the Peak Tower

Two weeks in and I've posted once. This was always the way this is going to go!

Hong Kong.

Beautiful country, it's cliche but it is a perfect blend of east and west, I've never been in a place where I've racially been the outsider but it is a city where I felt safe being on my own at night.

My personal highlights of the four days I spent there were the peak tram and tower. the night markets- temple street and ladies market. the lights show and Wong Tai Sin temple.
Two full days there was more than enough for me to do everything, the only thing I would have done if I'd had the time was see the giant Buddha but I could have done that one the second day if I'd thought it through a bit more.

One thing I did notice was how many people actually travel on their own, when I've been with other people I've never noticed how many people are on their own and it's not as hard as I thought to start up conversations. Also Australian's are the friendliest people I've ever met!

A few things learnt along the way:
  • If everyone was Buddhist the world would be a more peaceful place.

  • Don't bother trying to be friendly to Hong Kong immigration. It doesn't work.

  • The brown liquid thing you are served with your food in local restaurants is tea.

  • When you're in a coach or a car don't talk to the driver, it's illegal.

  • If it looks in walking distance on the map, it doesn't mean it is!

  • Unlike London, when the doors of the metro are closing on you, kicking them only leads to an injured foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment